What you’ll wear for your wedding photos is pretty straightforward. But when you’re choosing outfits to wear for engagement photos, the possibilities are practically endless.
You may have candid snapshots together, but your engagement photos are probably the first “official” photographs you’ll take with your future spouse. Capture who you are as a couple by carefully choosing outfits that balance your personal style with what will look best when photographed.
Here are some tips to keep in mind as you tear apart your closet—or the mall—in search of picture-perfect outfits for your engagement photos.
- Avoid outfits that are matchy-matchy. Instead, opt for clothes in coordinating colors or contrasting textures.
- Steer clear of over-the-top patterns.
- Keep clothing with logos hanging in the closet.
- Coordinate styles.
- Dress appropriately for the season, setting etc.
- Avoid “over styling.” Think twice about having a professional do your hair or makeup. After all, you want to look like you.
- Wear clothing that’s comfortable and flattering. In general, darker colors look best in front of the camera.
- Avoid trendy outfits. Dress in classic cuts and timeless colors and styles for images that will look great long after they’ve been developed.
If you still can’t narrow down what to wear for your engagement photos, no problem! You can always bring a couple of outfits, but factor in the time you’ll spend changing. By wearing multiple layers—a scarf, a cardigan, a hat—you can vary the look of your photos without devoting time to outfit switches.
Have you already taken your engagement photos? What tips do you have to offer others for choosing engagement photo outfits?